Pie may be the front runner on the Thanksgiving pastries front, but everyone enjoys a good slice of cake once in a while too, especially with homemade frosting! We can’t just use ordinary vanilla for the upcoming holidays–how about some pumpkin spice cream cheese frosting!
Pumpkin has garnered a lot of attention the past few years (we have to thank Starbucks for that and their super popular Pumpkin Spice Latte!), so we definitely want to incorporate a little pumpkin in our dessert. If a whole pumpkin cake is a little too much for you, this quick and easy pumpkin spice cream cheese frosting is sure to hit the spot!
- 1/4 cup puree pumpkin (canned or fresh)
- 1 pack of 8oz cream cheese (left out and softened at room temperature)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbs orange juice
- half stick of butter (no salt)
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- cinnamon to taste (around 1 -2 tsp, or until desired spice)
Blend all ingredients (except cinnamon) with a whisk or electric mixer. Smooth out any lumps with a spoon, and keep blending until it reaches a smooth consistency. Sprinkle on the cinnamon and mix to taste. Or you can sprinkle it on top as decorations.
Ways to decorate your cakes and cupcakes with the frosting:
- smooth on with spatula
- pipe designs on with a piping bag and tips
- add nonpareils, sprinkles, or cinnamon, or chocolate chips
- put 2 colors of frosting into a piping bag to make a swirly color design
This recipe is quick and easy, but feels homemade and cozy to enjoy! Pumpkin spice is so popular for the Fall season, and we think its great that it’s making it’s mark just in time for the holidays! Do you enjoy the pumpkin spice trend? Let us know below!