This is a fun activity to do with your children for St. Patrick’s Day! If they are begging for little green leprechaun hats for the one day holiday and you don’t want to spend the money for these hats to be only worn once, this is the St. Patrick’s Day DIY project just for you and your kids. Save money and make more St. Patrick’s Day decorations with crafts! Hopefully your children loves ice cream because they will be needing the empty containers for this project! Talk about an ultimate brain freeze!
What you will need:
- 1/2 gallon Round ice cream container, clean and dry (you do not need the lid)
- 2 or 3 sheets of Green construction paper
- 1 sheet of Yellow or Gray construction paper
- 1 sheet of Black construction paper
- Double stick tape
- Large circular object (however wide the construction paper is)
- Trace around the large circular object on the green construction paper with the pen.
- Cut out the circle.
- Use the double stick tape to adhere the circle to the bottom of the ice cream container.
- Cut a piece of green construction paper to fit around the container. You may need two pieces of construction paper or be able to piece them together.
- Use the double stick tape to adhere the construction paper around the container.
- Cut a strip about 2″ wide out of the black construction paper.
- Cut a 4″ square out of the gray or yellow construction paper.
- Cut a rectangle in the middle of the gray construction paper about 1 1/4″ x 2″. Discard the little piece of construction paper. Hint: Fold the square into fourths and cut a square out of the middle of the folded area. Open up the square.
- Check positioning of the black band by laying it around the hat about an inch above the brim. Cut off any excess construction paper where it meets in the back.
- Lay the gray or yellow (buckle) over the black band as shown in the photograph. Once the layout is satisfactory, tape in place.
- Add green tortilla chips, if available, and get ready for your feast.