16 more days to go until St. Patrick’s Day! Have you started planning for a party or put up St. Patrick’s Day decorations yet? Here are some interesting facts about the holiday and its patron saint in case you are looking for conversation starters!
- An Irish toast: “The Scots have their whisky, the Welsh have their tongue, but the Irish have Paddy, who’s second to none!”
- The first church founded by Saint Patrick is located at Mag-inis. The ground is considered holy.
- Believe it or not, the colour of St. Patrick was not actually green, but blue! In the 19th century, however, green came to be used as a symbol for Ireland.
- An Irish blessing: “May you always have…
Walls for the winds, A roof for the rain
Tea beside the fire, Laughter to cheer you
Those you love near you
And all your heart might desire.”
- What’s good luck on Saint Patrick’s Day?: Finding a four-leaf clover (that’s double the good luck it usually is). Wearing green. (School children started this tradition of their own — they used to pinch classmates who don’t wear green on this holiday). Kissing the blarney stone.